Tuesday, October 14, 2008

By way of introduction

So you're probably wondering about me and this blog.

I named it after a line uttered in the musical "Guys and Dolls" by that fine upstanding ("as proved by my record -- thirty arrests and no convictions.") lovable lug of East Cicero, Illinois -- Big Julie. After Sgt Sarah Brown stuck up for the crapshooters, he was heard to say "Aw, there's a right broad." For me, it was all in the delivery. It also seemed strangely appropriate. I think of myself as a broad in both senses of the word.

I started this journal initially in paper format when I was taking an online course on “Maltese Falcon”. My instructor suggested keeping a reading journal. I expanded it to include other loosely related interests -- hard-boiled/noir and pulps with sidelights in old Hollywood, comic books, and old time radio. And by loose, I really do mean loose. The Damon Runyon reference should be a clue there. (I’m also partial to a “Simple Little System” from “Bells are Ringing”.)

This is mostly a better way of organizing things. I’ll be starting with some of the older entries first and hopefully I’ll get caught up before the next century. Hopefully.

No comments: