Thursday, March 29, 2012

Stopping for tea on Pike's Peak

"Well, none of us can do more than our best, and it is very necessary to have Faith. That moves mountains, we are told."

"Then for Heaven’s sake lay in a good stock of it," said Wimsey gloomily, "because as far as I can see, this job is like shifting the Himalayas and the Alps, with a touch of frosty Caucasus and a touch of the Rockies thrown in."

-- Dorothy L Sayers, Strong Poison

A quarter of the way into the Mount TBR Reading Challenge, I'm rather pleased with my progress so far. I signed up for Pike's Peak level which meant reading 12 books from my TBR. Since January, I have read four, including several that have lingered on the TBR shelf for far longer than I care to admit.

The books in question:

Dorothy L. Sayers, Strong Poison
Kage Baker, In the Garden of Iden
Laura Anne Gilman, Staying Dead
Katherine Kurtz & Deborah Turner Harris, Dagger Magic

Of the four, finishing the Sayers book really stunned me. I've tried to read her for years, but have always tripped up on her language and her Latin quotations. Maybe it was rewatching the old PBS Mystery! Adaptation fairly recently, but the book went much faster this time, once I was past the opening court scene. Gaudy Night has keeping Strong Poison company on my bookshelf for nearly as long, so it might be good to give it another go.

That leaves me with eight more books to manage between now and the end of the year, a respectable amount for my reading habits.

See, here's the thing, dear Readers, I know how I read. There will be the shiny and new. There will always be something that just came out that has captured my attention or something my friends keep talking about, so I get curious. That's why I made my Goodreads goal larger than my TBR one. (For the record, I've managed 11 books for the Goodreads reading challenge so far, far more than I anticipated, even without those Kurtz & Harris Adept series re-reads before Dagger Magic.

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

A marvelous Sayers quote! That just might make your progress post the best one. (I love Sayers....) So glad that you've finally been able to conquer this one. Good luck with the rest of the climb.