Sunday, February 6, 2011

48 Hour Read-A-Thon: Mostly Done

My second 48 Hour Read-a-thon is nearly over. After a sluggish start, I managed to finish and review Megan Abbott's Queenpin. I also read the first two Seanan McGuire's October Daye series: Rosemary and Rue and A Local Habitation. I enjoyed both quite a lot. I love the world building in the Daye universe, both very fantastical and very real. Toby is a very likable heroine, although she's frustrating in the first book, so determined to avoid the very people that could help her. And while it's understandable, given her backstory, I like her infinitely better when she's bouncing off her supporting cast, rather than pulling the lone wolf routine. The villains honestly aren't nearly as creepy as the monsters that inhabit Toby's world. I will definitely keep reading books in this series.

I'd call this Read-A-Thon a decent success again. I did get some reading done, even if I haven't really touched the older books at the bottom of the list. I'm hoping I can ride the momentum from this weekend into reading some more. I do appreciate all the encouragement I received in comments or on twitter.

1 comment:

Wallace said...

I always surprise myself by not getting quite as many pages read as I think I will. But it's always nice to get the ball rolling on some books that have been waiting to be read. Glad you participated... it was fun chatting on Twitter!